Monday, January 3, 2011

Ryasno

Today was another long day.  I probably should stop saying that, since everyday is a long day.  The first of three orphanage visits was on the agenda for the day.  When I looked out of the window first thing this morning, guess what I saw.....if you said anything other than it was snowing you haven't been paying attention.  Although I did see something very strange in the sky later in the day on the way back from Ryasno.  There was this orange glow off in the distance, at first we weren't sure what it was.  Then someone said it was the sun....some of the group started taking pictures of it since we haven't seen it for so long.  It was good to see, who knows when I'll see it again.

Today was a difficult day for me.  Not because we were visiting an orphanage, although these visits can be emotional.  I was really starting to get homesick.  I've been away from home for 6 days now, but it feels like I've been gone months.  It's not just the amount of time away, but the distance also.  This is when it's good to be busy.  I can't wait to see Grace, Jay and Leslie and hold them tight in my arms. 

Ok, back to the events of today.  We left the ARK house at 9:00 in a big bus.  Before leaving Mogilev we made several stops to pick some of the other Americanski's at various places.  In addition to the Americanski's we picked up Ded Moroz, the Russian Santa Claus.  Translated Ded Moroz means father frost.  (I talked about him the other day)  Ded Moroz would join us at the orphanage and meet with the children and hand out candy.  The children get very excited to see him.

It took about two hours of travelling on snow covered roads before we arrived in Ryasno.  I first visited Ryasno in 2003 when Krystina was living there.  The government has classified the children in Ryasno as having learning disabilities.  It seems that they are quick to classify children as having learning disabilities when most of these children have what in America would be very minor issues like ADHD that can be easily resolved with a little attention.  Here in lies the problem, these children do not get attention.  Some of them that were orphans from a young age were never held or loved in any way.  This manifests itself in many different ways.  Since I only took one psychology class in school, I'm not an expert on the disorders this causes, but I have experienced the results by spending time with many of these children. 

Ryasno is a much better place now than it was in 2003.  The first time I was in the sleeping area of Ryasno the temperature never got above 45 degrees.  Since then, through the tireless efforts of different ABRO groups and some generous donations, the windows, furnace and beds were replaced.  In my opinion, no orphanage is a "nice" place, but at least the living conditions have improved. 

Here is a picture of one of the bedrooms from 2003:




There was a huge Christmas tree set up in the school gym.  The top of the tree was too tall for the ceiling.  The kids chanted "Ded Moroz, Ded Moroz, Ded Moroz," until he made his grand entrance into the room.  Ded Moroz had total control of the room and the children obeyed his every command.  He had them hold hands forming a big circle around the tree.  Some of us Americanski's joined in as we danced around the tree.  We played several games and Ded Moroz would single a child out every now and then and bring them to the center with him and the Ice Princess.  The children would recite their favorite Christmas poem, Ded Moroz would say "good job" in Russian to each child as he handed them some candy. 


After a while it was time to hand out gifts to the children.  We brought several suitcases full of hats, scarfs and small toys.  Each child received one package as they hurried away to see what was inside. 

Each child received a Christmas card.  The children took the cards and asked each Americanski to sign them.  This gave us a chance to meet and spend a few minutes with everyone.  The only thing some of these children wanted was a hug or some much needed attention.  I wish I could take everyone of these children and give them the love they crave so much.  It looked like Frank and Joe were really enjoying the time with the children.



Next up was the auction.  In an effort to help raise some money for the orphanage they held an auction of art work made by the orphans.  Each orphan would hold up what they made and we would bid their work.  By the end of the auction we had donated over $500 to the orphanage and I have some great stuff made by some little hands. 


The time went by fast and before we knew it, it was time to pack up and head back to Mogilev. We grabbed a quick lunch in the orphanage cafeteria and loaded up the bus. 

On the bus back I had a little time to reflect on the day.  It was a great experience to bring a few hours of happiness to these forgotten children.  In many of the pictures you will notice that the children are not smiling, it's mostly because they have very little to smile about.  If I helped bring just one smile to a child's face today it was all worthwhile.



On a lighter note, most people know that my drink of choice at home is Diet Pepsi.  I will drink Diet Coke if I have no other choice.  Since I've been in Belarus the closest thing I usually can get is hot tea.  So, it was quite a treat when I found Coke Light at the corner store.  They don't have anything with the word "diet" in it around here.  Coke Light tastes the same as Diet Coke and was a welcome surprise.  It's the little things that helps me get through the day sometimes.


Tomorrow is going to be another full day.  Bobruisk, the orphanage for the deaf and picking up little Krystina and Marharyta.  I have a feeling that Joe might be too excited to sleep tonight.  He has come all this way to spend time with his Krystina and hasn't been able to see her yet.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich! You are doing an awesome job with the blog and we have all been excited to read it each day. How cool it is to picture in my mind all you are seeing and experiencing since I was there last year. The pictures are great too! I can't wait to hear the stories when u get back. Take care and be safe!

    ReplyDelete