Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cherikov

The last of our visits to orphanages/schools took place today.  Cherikov is actually what they refer to as a shelter.  I would call it almost a "pre" orphanage.  When parents can't take care of a child or there is a situation of abuse, the government may take the child and place them in a shelter.  They can live in the shelter for up to a year while their parents are given a chance to improve the living conditions or stop drinking or straighten out their lives.  If the parents do not change, then the child is taken and placed in a permanent orphanage.  Cherikov is a shelter that has mostly younger children, many are too young for the ABRO program. 


The visit was similar to the visit to Ryasno in that we brought Ded Moroz with us.  Again we danced around the Christmas tree and Ded Moroz handed out candy to the young smiling faces. 

It breaks my heart to when I hear the stories of how some of these children live and how they were treated.  A couple of years ago, I heard a story about a child from Cherikov whose parents kept them chained to the dog house.  That might be an extreme case, but when alcoholism is involved great cruelity is often involved. 

I am really dragging today.  We now have a full house at the ARK house with the arrival of Joe, little Krystina and Marharyta.  I was getting very little sleep before, now I'm getting even less.  I caught my Krystina and Olya raiding the fridge again at 1:30, then the deaf girls were still making noise at 2:30.  I might sleep for three days straight when I get home.  These children have a rare opportunity to escape their harsh reality and have some fun, smile, laugh and be silly.  The loss of a few hours sleep is a small price to pay to see these kids experience some joy.  Haven't you ever heard the saying "I'll sleep when I'm dead?"  I just hope that lack of sleep isn't what kills me....

Time here in Belarus is getting short and I can see the end quickly approaching.  This is something that I am very much looking forward to, although I can't be too happy about it in front of my Krystina.  She knows I am leaving soon too and is starting to show some of her sadness.  It is not unusual for her to give me a hug and just start crying as she is thinking about me leaving (this might happen several times a day).  Dealing with emotional women is difficult under any circumstance, but dealing with an emotional teenager who has very little hope in her life can be a tremendous weight to bare. 

I try to explain that God has a plan for all of us and we just don't know what His plan is for her yet.  I encourage her to keep looking to God for guidance.  This is when I wish Leslie were here to talk to her. At this point I would look for a reason to do something else while Leslie talked through things with her.........ok, I know that is the easy way out, but YOU try dealing with these difficult situations.  Anyway, I am having to deal with it and I can't run or hide.  I am here trying to answer her tough questions and give her honest answers, trying to give her confidence that through God anything is possible. 

Maybe it's the lack of sleep that's getting me all riled up, or the fact that you can't experience this type of trip without it taking its toll on you. Ok, I'm back under control.

Tomorrow I am taking Olya and Krystina shopping in the morning.  I still need to get them jeans, tights, sneakers and Krystina wants a watch.  If I get her a watch do you think she will stop asking me what time it is every 5 minutes????

After shopping we will be visiting the Deaf Society.  To be honest with you, I am not looking forward to this.  I visited there last year and it was one of the most difficult days I've had.  If I said it was an awful place I would be grossly misrepresenting it.  There are not enough adjectives to describe the filth, smell and horrendous living conditions.  I'll try to explain more about it tomorrow, after our visit.

Man, I'm really all over the place tonight.  It's time to come home.....

Here are a few pictures from Cherikov:



2 comments:

  1. Rich, your blog has touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. Hang in there - I know from last year the last few days are some of the toughest. We will keep praying here. You are all doing magnificent work and as soon as you rest up I want to hear ALL the details. Being here just makes me feel like I am missing out on this spectacular work you're doing but the blog posts help. I can't wait to see all the pictures and here all the stories. Tell krystina to never forget all things are possible with God. And give all the kids hugs and kisses from me. Take care and have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful post. What a blessing you, and so many of the ABRO people are, and we do lift you up with many prayers.

    ReplyDelete